This is Episode 65 of This Old New Business weekly business podcast with Jeff Korhan.
In this episode, we continue the conversation we started with Andy Crestodina on how to use Google Analytics to improve website SEO. Mike Gingerich gives us the essentials that small businesses need to use Google Analytics well to learn about the visitors interacting with their websites.
Mike Gingerich is President of web agency Digital Hill Multimedia and co-founder of TabSite.com contest app for Facebook. He has a passion for business development, marketing, and travel.
Learn to Define Your Perfect Audience
Google Analytics is one of the most powerful tools any business has available for learning about the behaviors of their website visitors, including where they came from and the device they used. This baseline data provides insights on the number of visitors and their experience with the website.
Google Analytics allows your business to establish goals and use reports to track progress. Some of the report criteria (known as segments) that Mike Gingerich suggests including in your Google Analytics dashboard are.
- Overall Sessions – Page views, pages visited per session, new visitors and the bounce rate.
- Top Page Report – The best performing pages
- Social Media Traffic – Channels and communities where your audience is most active
- Mobile Traffic – How much traffic is mobile and the types of devices used.
Every business needs to thoroughly understand its ideal audience, but the one thing we know for certain is that if it isn’t already, it will soon be predominantly mobile.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on Google Analytics. Meet me over on Twitter to take the conversation further.
- Get in touch with Mikw and learn more about his work at DigitalHill.com, MikeGingerich.com, his podcast HalfTimeMike.com and on Blab.
- Check out Mike’s new lead capture tool Waftio, which makes lead capture seamless on any website. Easily grow your email lists on any page or across the site with the Waftio pop-up box or widget, which integrates with CRM and email services like MailChimp, Infusionsoft, Aweber, GoToWebinar and more.
Mike offered a discount just for This Old New Business listeners: 50offplans. This gives you 50% off any plan for the first 3 months.
How to subscribe to This Old New Business podcast
Help us Spread the Word
About the Author: Jeff Korhan, MBA, is the author of Built-In Social: Essential Social Marketing Practices for Every Small Business and host of This Old New Business podcast.
He helps organizations use media to create exceptional customer experiences that drive business growth in a digital, social and global world. Connect with Jeff on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and Google+